Sunday, March 9, 2008

The last 24 hours in Beijing.

Here are some pictures taken in my last 24 hours in Beijing:


The Aquatic Center at night. Apparently the National Stadium (Bird's Nest) glows red. I can't wait to see them together at night!



A back-lit Olympic ad in the subway. These cute little critters are the mascots. Does anyone remember Sam the Eagle from the 84 Olympics held in LA? I remember having a little stuffed Sam and some Sam stickers. I believe they came in a happy meal. Either way, I'll take any of these over the pathetic Izzy from Atlanta games... ugh.



Half-cooked squid-on-a-stick!!! Yep, these guys are my Canadian counterparts and were at least a few beers in before attempting this leap of culinary faith.


MMMMM, taste the flavor! (or flavour, if you're Canadian)



My Aussie buddy, Luke, eating some snake-on-a-stick. Apparently, according to all the vendors, eating snake is very "Good for penis!" They also claim this about the squid, scorpion, and pretty much everything else they sell. "You buy silk worm! Good for penis!"

When I return in July, I'll ask Luke how it's going down there.



Quik-E-Mart!



Many purchase electrics sign have make for poor translations. Also, check out the guy welding with no safety equipment or ladder.. hey! shouldn't he be smoking and drinking, too? oh yeah, I think he was. never mind.



Yet another McDonalds. This time, no English at all!!!



Maxxin and chillaxin near Tienanmen Square.



Here is one of the mobile video trucks that will mostly likely be with us during the games. This day it happened to be filming in Tienanmen.



I didn't take any pictures, but these guys we shaking a lot of people down and checking their bags. Not in a violent way or anything, but definitely showing their presence.
They are watching you!





Gimme some Mao!



A very quaint little garden path just on the other side of the wall. Apparently someone was doing some water calligraphy on the sidewalk.





How do you say "hipster" in Mandarin?


Well, that's all for now. I return to Beijing on July 21st and will remain there until August 25th. Please check back for more fun-in-the-East! Also, don't forget to comment :)

-Sean

1 comment:

Olga said...

teeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee.